Monday, March 8, 2010

Jackman: The commute.


I made the 3 hour long 165 mile commute up to Jackman this morning after a wonderful weekend back home with my beautiful family and a great birthday party. A 3 hour drive allows plenty of time for reflection and you realize just how much you don't want to leave your family, especially being away a week at a time. It also doesn't help when the farther you travel north, the more and more snow is still on the ground. When I left Portland, I was enjoying an actually pleasant morning with that fresh spring dirt/life-is-coming-back-to-the-world smell. And when I got to Jackman, winter had not loosened her grips a bit. But, as you may be able to see from the above photo, the river that runs along the road up to Jackman has broken through the ice. Just 3 days ago when I came down, the river was completely frozen over. There is hope! Anyway, during my commute, as I was pondering the vast intricacies of life and rocking out to the great James Taylor, I got to thinking about my new found community. The more and more as I searched to understand the sociological oddity that is rural America, I came to the conclusion that living in a small town like Jackman would be like living all aspects of life completely within an LDS ward.
-
Example #1: Everyone here knows everyone on a first name basis and there are very few secrets that last more than a few days without them becoming public knowledge. Last Friday was my birthday which I happened to mention to Dr. Doyle the day before my birthday. When I walked into the clinic on Friday morning, I was followed in by all of the nurses and office staff in a great chorus of "happy birthday" and a fresh batch of muffins. Throughout the day I would pass an unfamiliar housekeeper or resident at the nursing home who would wish me a happy 26th birthday!!! That was so great!! Last Thursday I went to have dinner at the local eatery and as I was sitting down at my booth, a woman came out of the kitchen and headed in my direction. I had never seen her before. She said "Sorry to bother you, I know you are not working right now, but I have a question." She then proceeded to ask me a medically related question in front of the other restaurant patrons. I will admit I felt a little awkward, and a little freaked out- kind of like I was in an episode of the twilight zone. Who are these people and how do they know me? But like entering into any new ward, anonymity is not easily preserved.
-
Example #2: I had to laugh at this one. Instead of at a ward building, here at the health center, if you go into the kitchen, you will find various forgotten pieces of tupper-ware with the previous owners last name inscribed on top with black sharpie marker. Who knows how long they have been there, but hey, who's going to take them?
-
Example #3: People is family!! I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see people display care and compassion to one another. I have heard many times that if you are ever in need in Jackman, the whole town is there to help. If you ever get your car stuck in the snow around here, it doesn't stay stuck for long! Everyone comes out with their snow-blowers and plows. Also, if anyone is going "down-river" (that is the colloquial phrase for going out of town to the "big cities") everyone makes sure to ask their friends and family members if they need anything. I have heard it many times "Hey, I am headed down-river...do you need anything?" I love this place.

5 comments:

Alexis said...

So I guess I should have sent you with a Sharpie Marker if I ever want to see the Tupperware I sent you with?

sarah e. said...

So cute! I think small towns are fun. Paola, where we live, is a little like that too.

Johnson Family said...

I had to laugh! This place is Bagdad All over!!!!!! It is such an endearing thing!!!!!
Love it while you are there!!!
Christa Johnson

Blogger said...

Ian, Jason and I just read your blog and it sounds like you totally love this place. Maybe you will change your mind about Cali and end up relocating to Jackman, eh?! Hey, you guys could get yourselves a new "sled!"

Johnson Family said...

Dear Alexis,
I am officially debunking the rumor that I am moving to Boise. That would be news to me since we dont' have a job there or anything!
Bonnie is just trying to get everyone to move up there so everyone will be closer together.
Love ya,
Christa