Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Flying Around



I recently spent the Holidays here in Provo. It was very fun! Before, however, I did consider going "home" to Pittsburgh where much of the Haglund Family was gathering. Finances, schedules, morning sickness and other things were all factors into why that didn't happen and I still had lots of contact with them after all. I got to talk to Brook, Kenz, Adam, Linwood, Mom & Dad a lot over the phone (usually speaker phone) and we did many things simultaneously, like making Cookies!! I have considered though, that I might want to take a trip to the East soon. Adam will be leaving on his mission soon and it would be nice to be with him, also my mom and dad are great tour guides around the Big Apple and there is lots for them to show Jacob! A big reason though, for traveling back so far would be to see my future place of residence, Portland, Maine. I think it might be nice to take a trip there before our move in May where we will need a Doctor to deliver our baby and an apartment in which to rest our heads ("Maybe a nearby meadow or a hollow tree. Or a house full of dwarves. I hear they're very hospitable." - Enchanted).
I may be aprehensive about traveling right now since I've been tired and sick but I can't say I have no reason to be a little overwhelmed. Considering the number of times I have taken Jacob through busy security lines (and have been reprimanded for various "liquid" food items and nebulizer machines), waited in suspense at the podium to hear our names called (and many times where our name never was called), and tried to keep him from crying too loud while on the plane or wiping dripping vomit off the persons arm next to me. While worrying about how to pack for this next trip in order to speed up security, strategize my travel dates to optimize flight entrance and plan activites to keep Jacob busy for four hours, I thought perhaps all that experience could be for our good...maybe I've learned something from all these trips. So as I list the flights we've traveled I am going to make a mental note of what we can do better! Here goes:
Dec. 2006SLC-JFK JFK-PIT PIT-JFK JFK-LAS LAS-LGB LGB-SLC
Apr. 2007 SLC-JFK JFK-PIT PIT-JFK JFK-SLC
Jun. 2007 SLC-PHX PHX-GDL GDL-PHX PHX-SLC
Aug. 2007 SLC-JFK JFK-PIT PIT-JFK JFK-SFO SFO-SLC
Oct. 2007 SLC-JFK JFK-SLC
Nov. 2007 SLC-LGB LBG-SLC
Well, I think that was very therapuetic. From recalling all these trips, I realized that I was mostly scarred from the three day trip home from the first trip and the mean security guard in SLC who took 3 of my 6 apple sauces...insuiting there is such a written rule. I must also give credit where MUCH credit is due. My traveling was made much easier on those legs of the trip where I had the help of Brook, McKenzie, Taylor or Ian. Also, I could have never landed in NY or Pittsburgh after a red-eye and then some, without my mom sweeping Jacob out of my arms and sending me straight to bed! One final thought, this list might look somewhat long, but I must consider the list my mom could come up with if she counted all the times she took very young kids and babies on all those long 6 hour PIT-LAX flights....Amazing!
Well you in the East, watch out here we come, flight #24!

3 comments:

brook said...

Thanks for blogging! So when are you gonna go? Do you need a ride to the airport?

brook said...

I just looked closer at your pictures. That book I'm showing Jake was the only thing that would keep him quiet during some of the flight. I must have read it a few hundred times.

Alexis said...

It's true. Remember how you had the whole thing memorized! I think we might have lost the book:(