Friday, June 13, 2008

Who cries harder when the blankie is lost?

It was so fun getting hand made blankets from family and friends when Jacob was born. We have already started getting blankets for Benjamin. My friend Rachel made him a cuddly rag quilt and Brook and McKenzie made him a soft velvet bubble blanket with satin binding. I am afraid I might never give the latter to Benjamin. The combination of those two textured fabrics and the bright shapes they made as appliqués are too tempting for a baby to start using as their "night-night."
The other day I thought I would be super-mom and take Jacob to storytime before all the important errands we had to run that day. The morning started off with a temper tantrum on the way into the library and then another grand maul on the way out of the library. When we got to the DMV he was again lured by the hard, hot, black asphalt parking lot and threw himself down on it to let his thoughts be known. After getting a new drivers license and registering our car I definatley pushed my luck by trying to meet a friend at Target. My plan was that she would watch Jacob so I could try on a swim suit but, of course, things took a little too long for this teething almost-two-year-old.
I managed to get him safely in his car seat only by bribing him with a pack of "Diego" fruit snacks. I erroneously assumed that once we got on the road he would be lulled to sleep. The only glitch was a big one---somewhere in our errands we had lost his "night-night!" I had just entered the highway when I felt my limited search of the car proved that we had for sure lost it. I'm not sure who was more miserable at that point. I tried to ignore his wails for "night-night" as I drove carefully on the highway with my new friend following behind me. My attempt to call her on her cell phone to let her know we had to take a different route home in search for his "night-night," only proved that she was in fact a safer driver than I and she didn't answer her phone. I put all my trust in her common sense and left her to fend for herself as we took a side road toward the Burbank Branch Library.
Poor Jacob was so tired but could not fall asleep without that soft, familiar, red and yellow piece of physical comfort. We pulled up to the library, I left my car running with the doors open and ran inside. I turned the corner to ask a Librarian where the 'lost and found' was located, when I saw a neatly folded but dirty blankie. "Thanks!" I yelled to anyone listening as I ran back out to my car, where Jacobs tired cries for "night-night" could finally end. Finally he was peacefully sleeping, now that we were 2 miles from our house.
So I guess the real question is, who is happier when the blankie is found!?

3 comments:

Erika said...

I am so glad that there was a happy ending to that story. I was quite worried the whole time I was reading it.

I can't wait to see Jacob, Benjamin, GoGo, night-night, you and Ian, and all the other fun that that Maine has to offer!

Amber and Ryan said...

uh oh! Summer has a night night too; but then again, so do I- shhhh.

brook said...

I am so flattered! I wonder if Jake is going to steal Benjamin's night-night. We'll see!