Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ian's Big Week

This past week was National Physicians Assistants week. A fun filled week for Ian and his classmates. Monday afternoon he got to meet Portland's Mayor who was a really nice guy. (I just came along to chauffer and tried to stay hidden but that didn't last long. Luckily, Ian says I have the "gift of gab" so I held my own...until he wanted to include my in one of the pictures...YIKES! I was wearing jeans but the Mayor said it was alright because Maine is a pretty casual state--which really has proven to be true in many ways. I am just glad that now I have my very own pin with the city of Portland's seal, thanks "Mayuh") He read and signed a declaration that included a lot of "wherfore's." Basically, it was to acknowledge University of New England as the only school in Maine training PA's and expressing the importance of the role of PA's to help increase access to healthcare.
That night we attended his "White Coat Ceremony" where he took an oath and was donned his white coat. Since he is still a student his coat is shorter than what you'd see at the Dr.'s Office (his friend calls it the "mini skirt coat.") Soon enough he'll get the real one:) My parents came from NYC which was really really nice of them. They helped keep the boys as quiet as possible during the event and bought us dinner after to celebrate (and this LARGE pumpkin!)
On Thursday morning everyone brought in baked goods for a bake sale on campus. You might think this juvenile to the point that these big, bad, graduate students wouldn't want to contribute but actually most did. I think it was a good stress reliever for them to just bake away and then get to dream a bout a graduation party that they raised money for. Ian made his amazing artisan bread. This is an old picture but he manages to make the bread just as beautiful everytime. You should check out the recipe. You will love it!!

Saturday morning the students set up a booth at the Farmers Market and checked peoples blood pressure and advised them accordingly. It was a beautiful morning and so fun to explore the market and the park. I forgot to take a picture at the booth but, here Ian is with Jacob at the playground right after.Later that day we went to one of his professors houses and picked apples...for free!! I must admit we got a little greedy and have more apples now than we know what to do with, but it was really fun! He had lots of trees and three varieties: Red Delicious, McIntosh and Jonathans. We are grateful this busy guy makes sure to spend every free second of his time with us:) And since we are greedy even still and always delay his bike ride back up to school after lunch, he has had to discover that he can bike that mile in under 4 minutes!

4 comments:

brook said...

That picture of Ian at your old apartment made me think for just a second that you still lived 45 minutes away from me! : (

Geniel said...

Thanks so much for the pictures. Oh how we would have loved to be there for the white coat ceremony! We sure thought of you all. That's so fun that you got to go to the meeting with the 'mayuh', too.

Kirsten said...

Way to go Ian, what a great week. I love the new family picture on the top of your blog.

Jennifer Lyn said...

Ian looks so professional with his dr. coat on. How exciting! It was so fun to talk with you the other day. Thanks for calling. And we can't wait for you to come for Thanksgiving break!