Thursday, April 2, 2009

a REAL post

As I read other friends blogs I realize that perhaps I've gotten a little too "facebook" in my posting...I tried to get a photo album type website but it was way too complicated for me, thus I continue to give updates in the form of lots of pictures and explanations.
For those of you who are bored with our latest travelogs and want to know more about the thoughts of a mother of two boys here goes...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1389/saturday-night-live-dont-buy-stuff

I found this video on a friends blog (Thanks, Clarks) and I thought it was funny...seems obvious to me but I guess I'm just naive. Do people really buy things with money they know they don't have or is it just sloppy book keeping?
We are living off student loan money right now, so I guess you could say we have the money but esentially it is not ours.... hmmm is this the same thing?
So, I guess what I'm saying is, while this little sketch seems to mock the obvious, don't spend what you don't have, is it perhaps a little more complicated in situations of student loans, mortgage etc??

6 comments:

amylynne said...

Haha! I thought that clip was hilarious!

Here's my take on student loans. It's a different situation, I agree with you, as we are in the same situation as you guys. Student loans defer payment until after graduation for a reason--because it's an investment. Going to graduate school is an investment in getting a better salary upon graduation. The way I see it is this: As long as I am doing everything I can to keep up on the strictest budget possible, and therefore keeping our loans to an amount we can afford to pay off when Brady gets a real job, then for us right now, that's living within our means.

I have a friend whose husband is in dental school right now, and she says a lot of their friends bought huge houses and big screen TVs with their student loan money--it seems a little extravagant to me, even though as dentists, they'll probably be able to pay it off... but oh well.

Also, the amount we take out for food, rent, etc. in our situation is actually minimal compared to the amount we take out for tuition, books, etc. Even if Brady or I had a job, we still wouldn't be able to come up with that amount of money in large sum 3times a year.

Maybe all of this is just justification, because people with credit card debt could use the same argument, I guess. But when they are just "hoping" for money to fall out of the sky to pay their debts, we know(and I guess hope a little too...!) that our husbands will have good paying jobs in 2 or 3 years.

Anyway, sorry that was so long--it's something I've been thinking about a lot, too. Everytime I get frustrated about it, I pray to know that we're doing the right thing, and I feel that we are, and then I'll feel prompted to be able to save money some other way that I hadn't even thought of. So anyway--SOMEDAY living off loans will be a thing of the past for you and me, Alexis!! :) And when that happens, we should all go out to dinner or something... :)

Emily said...

I would like to know how you post a blog that isn't real--it sounds like an interesting experiment. Are your other posts not "real" in the sense that they are "surreal," or "unreal"? Because I forgot to tell you that those pictures of your kids at Jake's wedding were unreal.

brook said...

Don't ever stop blogging lots of pictures. I didn't even have to click on that link because I've seen the video so many times and I love it. I love when Amy Poehler says, "Now take the money away.... same story?" Its funny. Steve Martin is always entertaining too.

gwen said...

Who defines a good blog I'd like to know! I LOVE yours and I "read" it again and again. You have a way with words and your pix are worth 1000! Keep it coming! (Gramma love it too..so there!!)

Geniel said...

Amen on loving you blog!
I also love the SNL clip, in fact I just showed that in my Marriage Prep class yesterday. The stuff in that clip is scarry real. My favorite part is, "it's in the book, it's only one page."
We also spent a lot of time in class discussing debt and the counsel we have been given by Church leaders--We should be modest and cautious in our use of real estate (home)and installment debt (education, cars, etc.) and avoid consumer debt.

sarah e. said...

I love all your posts, including this one, but not excepting any!

Your comment about "sloppy bookkeeping" made me think. I think financial problems are so multi-dimensional. I, like you, find it hard to imagine spending money I knew I didn't have. However, I think some people really don't know how much money they have/can spend. I think that it is important that we train ourselves and our families to keep track of expenditures, savings, and income, to learn to budget and differentiate between needs and wants. Elder Hales' talk on these points yesterday were really good. In any event, I think it is different with student loans because we have been told by our church leaders that is one area of exception in going into debt. So, you just live on the "what you need" principle, which is how we should all be living whether we are in any kind of debt or not.

One last point: I also think it important not to judge others who are in debt. I think people who have brought on their own challenges are as worthy of others' compassion as those whose trials are thrust upon them in some ways. They have more reason to be depressed and hard on themselves and most likely don't need others to be hard on them too. After all, we are all debtors to our Savior.