Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Distracted Driving

**** HUMOR ME: My attempt at still being involved in the Public Health World*****
As of September 12th of this year, a law exists in Maine that prosecutes "distracted drivers who commit either a traffic infraction or commit the crime of driving to endanger. " Though the law is written broadly to include many forms of distraction (see links below) media coverage has focused on texting and e-mailing.
The other day, while waiting at a red light, I saw in my rear view mirror the driver of the car behind me who was hands-off-the-wheel, eyes-to-her-phone, texting, while using her "peripheral vision" to intermittently step off the brake and back on again---perhaps to appear that she was aware of the three foot space between our cars. I thought, if she rear-ended me, it would be her fault -- she would pay damages to my car, and at 2 mph there would hopefully be no injury but why should this even happen? Because, she had to be in constant textual communication with someone she felt was much more important than all the other drivers on the road.
After recognizing that I am often distracted by a screaming toddler boy who gets his face ripped off by his side-kick baby brother, I moved them to sit in different rows. With Jacob in the back not only are they further than arms reach but also, I won't be distracted by Jacob asking me to hand him "something." (That's what he asks for when he's sleepy in the car, "Mommy. I need something!")
Your State should not need to legislate driving safely but if a monetary fine and time in jail is enough to motivate you, then check out your State's laws. You can download a chart from AAA to look at all states laws or see more details at your own State's website.
And watch this movie.

3 comments:

selway2005 said...

Thanks for this message...I have a question for you: if I see someone texting in their car, should I report them to the police? I have seen several individuals texting in their car still and wanted to take their plate number...what do you think?

Alexis said...

While driving to NYC a few weekends ago we saw a car swerving really badly. First thing we did was make sure we were behind them and ready to react and then while Ian stayed focused I called 911 gave them the make, model, color of the car and where on the highway (i offered license no. but he didn't seem to want it). I don't know if the driver was asleep, drunk, or distracted, but it was clear they were at risk of harming themselves and others. I also said a prayer that we would be safe...that helps too:)

brook said...

Lately 911 gets annoyed if you call about something like this because they would rather you call your local police dispatch. They don't want you to tie up their lines until an emergency has actually happened but nobody ever knows the number for the police. Maybe that's why the person you talked to didn't seem to care.
Did you notice that this incident happened exactly 3 years ago?