Thursday, August 21, 2008

Childs Visit: Day Three

After our relaxing day of walking around an island we thought we should walk around the huge city of Boston for a day. But before heading into town we stopped in and around Lexington and Concord to see in real life what we learned from early('pre') U.S. History, Literature and of course, Little Women (in my case, the movie not the book). Where's Jacob? Oh there he is being smashed by Revere's horse:/ Jacob really liked this horse at the museum in Concord. In case you ever go, don't be fooled...the museum is like 500 feet from the parking lot. Just keep walking! First stop: Site of the "shot heard round the world."
Kodak moment on the famous bridge.



Jacob wanted to be part of this statue. When we were a few feet away we heard some little kids run down the hill to the statue and scream "We won!!" I'm not sure if they were having a race or just jumping to the conclusion of the Revolutionary War.
Benjamin was prefect on this trip. He slept or chilled in the stroller for a lot of the trip. Everyone took turns holding him when he was fussy but he did great with the 2 hour car ride and then later slept through the night! He confirms my theory. You can read more about it in my unpublished book, "Babys that sleep more, sleep more"
Standing on the "Lobster Backs" or "Red Coats" side. Larry andGeniel
A favorite pastime---feeding the ducks. (they like Chex Mix!)Louisa May Alcotts house. Looks just like in the movie, or maybe the other way around. We didn't pay to go in...we saw it in the movie.Henry David Thoreau's home. Reconstructed according the information written in his book Walden. He actually lived there two years, two months and two days, though in his book he appears to have only lived there one year.... and that's a Wiki Fact!Ian being romanticised.Ian and jacob wondering what Henry is looking at.Walden "Pond" Our Bishop took swim lessons here. I think that would be much cooler than the Wyngate Swim Club.

We stopped in Belmont to show off our temple, which was beautifully landscaped and then went into the city. When we got to Boston we parked under the Boston Commons and let Jacob play on the playground for a bit since he would be about to sit in the stroller for a verrrry long time.Cemetary where "Old Mother Goose" was buried. (Or so I thought all my life until this trip. it is actually where her husbands second wife and other family members are buried. )My cutie husband with Paul Revere's memorial...and my cutie little Jacob who was soooo good on this trip! A stop along the red line. I think every city should have a trail marked along the sidewalk of the points of interest. It would make site-seeing less confusing and more efficient. Paul Revere's statue behind the Old North church. Sculpted by an LDS artist...I can't remember his name, but he is famous.

"Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch Of the North Church tower as a signal light,--One if by land, and two if by sea..." To add to the fallacy of Thoreau not living in his cabin for a year and OldMother Goose not being buried in that exact cemetary, that poem by Longfellow (who was from Portland, mind you) has at least three historical inaccuracies. But it rhymes!
Ian's dad in front of the church...but more importantly: Ian's dad across the street from a little bakery taht had the most delicious chocolate gelato!
Inside the church
We thought we were being so tough. Pumping ourselves up to climb the stairs inside the monument at Bunker Hill...only to find out that they closed it a few minutes earlier:(
Statue in front of Bunker Hill monument...which I hate to be a downer, but this is another point of historical inaccuracy. Most of the conflict referred to as the Battle of Bunker Hill actually took place at Breed's Hill. Maybe Breeds Hill already had housing developments so they put the monument at Bunker Hill. You can't tell in this picture but the hill was very steep. I wanted to show Jacob how to roll down a hill but I didn't want him rolling so fast he'd hit the fence at the bottom. This was fun, but then I was really itchy afterwards because the lawn had just been mowed.
Benjamin and his Grandpa Childs.
Well that's the end of the Red Line! Actually you can take it over to the USS Constitution, which we did but for some reason no one took pictures. On our way back to the Commons where we parked we ate at a restaraunt in Little Italy. It was yummy and the most family friendly restaraunt for blocks.
Our drive home was uneventful, thankfully, because we were all so tired. I'm so glad Ian's family came so we could do so much sight-seeing. There's no way would have enjoyed Boston so much without their help!

2 comments:

Rachel Ann said...

So I check your blog all the time just to be dissapointed that there are no new pictures... so you can imagine my excitement today!! I was so happy to see pictures of you guys. Oh... ps... I do have a sleep book and this doctor says that sleep actually promotes more sleep. So I guess you are right. You should publish your book. :)

Alexis said...

yeah I think that might be the case with me too. I haven't been taking naps lately and it takes me forever to fall asleep at night.
Glad you weren't dissapointed with all the new pics!