Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Childs Visit: Day Two



Today I had a lame ol' Dr.'s appointment. Who goes to the Dr. on vacation? Well, it was actually really nice because then Ian's parents watched the boys for us. It's been six weeks--time has flown!!
When we got back we packed up for a relaxing day on the island...Peaks Island! There is a family in my ward who lives on the island and takes the ferry in every Sunday for church. As we took the ferry ride to the island today and enjoyed all the gorgeous views, I started to envy their situation--taking a boat instead of a car everytime you need to do a major grocery trip, go to the doctors, to church...then I remembered that they don't have Ian's dad to pay the toll every time:) I guess some things, like living on an island, can be reserved for vacation. Here are some cool shots. We have Chandler to thank for the artistic ones:Chandlers first real boat ride...ya-hoo! Traveling New England Style.We hit land! Upon our arrival to Peaks Island I discovered, or so I thought at the time, that I hadn't brought a binky for Ben! We got our first 'insider look' into life on the island when we visited the islands only grocery store. It was very small, about twice as big as a 7-11 with only one register and lots and lots of alcohol. Unfortunately they only sold 18+ mos. binkies but that only made me search deeper in my bag to discover we actually had one--false alarm! But it was a good excuse to check out the store.So you don't get bored looking at beautiful island pictures I will narrate:Jacob: "Hey, we are stuck here on this island until the next ferry comes. All the restaraunts are too expensive. What should we do?"
Ian: "Let's find some free and abundant entertainment...
"...sticks! Who doesn't like to play with sticks!!"
Jacob: "I have an even better idea..." "Rocks! I will build the most magnificent rock statue!"Ian: "Oh wait, Chandler already beat us to it. And took a really cool picture of it too!"More beauty...And even more!The best part was, we got to walk... and walk! I believe the road that runs the outside of the island is about 5K. Someone told me to walk straight across the island when we got off the boat and we would come to a really beautiful and secluded sandy beach. Well, that was the plan and it might have worked in Utah where the roads are all straight but we quickly got turned around on the windy streets and were grateful to have made our way out to see what we did!Waiting for the ferry to pick us up.Portland skyline from Peaks Island. Bye-bye, hope to see you REALLY soon! Cool Boat

Docked in Portland.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Looks like you guys had a great visit with the family. I am so glad that your mom and dad were able to come meet you new little guy. Love all of the beautiful pictures.